To find out How much dry cat food per day, we need to consider factors such as age and weight.
The recommended amount of dry cat food per day is about 1/4 cup. However, this can vary depending on the type and brand of dry cat food that you use and your cat’s age and lifestyle.
According to a study by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM, cats need about 40-50 calories per pound of body weight daily to maintain their weight.
If your cat is overweight or underweight, you can use this guide to calculate how much dry cat food they should eat each day.
It is important to note that this specific formula was made for adult cats, not kittens. The Association Of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) states that an average adult cat should have a minimum of 22% protein in its diet every day.
Purina ONE Tender Selects Blend Adult Dry Cat Food
You should also consider how active your cat is before calculating how much dry cat food you should feed them per day. If your cat is very active, it will need more calories than a cat who sits around all day.
- 1 How Much Dry Cat Food Per Day?
- 2 Health Benefits Of Dry Cat Food Per Day
- 3 How Much Should A Cat Eat A Day Dry Food?
- 4 How Many Grams Of Dry Cat Food Per Day?
- 5 How Much Dry Food Should A 15 Pound Cat Eat?
- 6 How Much Dry Cat Food Per Day For A 10 Pound Cat?
- 7 How Much Dry Cat Food Per Day For A 5 Pound Cat?
- 8 Cat Feeding Chart Per Age
- 9 What Times Of The Day Should I Feed My Cat?
- 10 How Many Cups Of Dry Cat Food In A Package?
- 11 Where To Store Dry Cat Food?
- 12 Can Cats Eat Dry Food All The Time?
- 13 The Bottom Line
How Much Dry Cat Food Per Day?
A normal adult cat can eat from 100 to 150 grams of dry food per day. This translates to 0.22 to 0.33 lbs of dry food a day for an average adult cat.
According to the previously mentioned study by Lisa A Pierson, if your cat is overweight or underweight, you can use this guide to calculate how much dry cat food they should eat each day.
One pound of healthy body weight equals about 60 calories a day.
The following table is a guide to how many calories your cat needs per day depending on its current weight:
Weight Calories Needed in a Day (Per Pound) Underweight +20 Healthy Weight +40 Overweight -20 Obese -40
Cats that are overweight or underweight should be fed a diet made from healthy, low-calorie foods. Obesity in cats can be harmful to their health and lead to diabetes, liver problems, and arthritis.
After going over the above, you might think one cup of cat food per day is not enough. In this case, you could try switching to a healthier cat food brand or supplement their diet with healthy treats to give them some extra calories.
Instinct Limited Ingredient Cat Food, Limited Ingredient Diet Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food
If you have an overweight or obese cat, then switch to low-calorie cat food and reduce the amount of dry cat food per day they eat gradually over time. This is better than instantly changing to new cat food, as it helps your cat adjust to its new diet.
The best way to find out how much dry cat food per day is by looking at the recommended portion size on the back of your specific brand.
Some good guidelines are:
- 1/4 – 1/3 can per 2 pounds of body weight daily (split into multiple feedings)
- 1/4 cup dry kibble + 1/4 can wet food per 5 pounds of body weight daily.
These are only general guidelines, so you should always check the recommended feeding chart on the back of your brand for more information.
There are also some common myths about feeding cats that we’ll debunk today. Let’s get started!
Let’s debunk some common myths about cats and dry cat food:
1. Cats should eat wet food because it has more water content. “The first ingredient in most cat foods is typically water. According to the National Research Council (NRC), the moisture content of both wet and dry food averages about 75 percent, according to the National Research Council (NRC), which sets standards for pet food.”
2. Cats need water in their food to stay hydrated. “In the mid-1970s, a commercial extrusion cooking process was developed that cooked kibbles at high temperatures and pressures. Eighty percent of a dry cat food’s weight is from water, which can dehydrate cats who don’t drink enough water.”
3. Cats eat dry foods because they like crunchy food. “The sound of dry kibble crunching is similar to the noise made by small prey, says Dr. Pierson, which prompts cats to attack it.”
4. Cats should eat dry food because they are not properly hydrated. “The NRC estimates that an average cat needs to drink about one ounce of water for every ten ounces of body weight daily. Cats who eat wet food consume 70 percent more water than those eating dry food.”
5. Cats do not need water because they get it from their food “The moisture content of both wet and dry cat foods averages about 75 percent, according to the NRC.”
6. It is best to talk to your veterinarian about what type of cat food and how much dry cat food you should feed your pet. Cats should have a constant source of fresh water available as well, so make sure they always have a bowl full!
Also read: How Much Dry Cat Food Per Month
Health Benefits Of Dry Cat Food Per Day
Dry cat food has its benefits as well. Many people believe that cats should only eat wet food because it is healthier, but this is not always the case.
Dry cat foods have a better ratio of ingredients and more nutrients than wet cat foods do. They also have a higher concentration of antioxidants.
Here are 6 benefits of dry cat food
1. Decreases hairballs “When cats groom themselves, their tongues scrape off loose hair. The hair then becomes a doughy mass stuck to the top of the cat’s mouth until washes it away by licking paws.”
Purina Beyond Grain Free, Natural, Ocean Whitefish & Egg Adult Dry Cat Food
2. Increases weight loss “A 2011 study published in Nutrition Research found that over time, adult cats who ate dry food only lost weight when their daily caloric intake dropped below the amount recommended by veterinarians.”
3. Increases dental health “Food particles can get stuck in a cat’s teeth and between her teeth. This dry food is abrasive, which means it can help to scrape off these particles.”
4. Better ratios of nutrients and ingredients “Dry kibble has a better ratio of nutrients and ingredients than wet food does.”
5. It helps keep cats healthy “Cats who ate dry foods had higher scores for every aspect of health studied, including skin and coat quality, vitality, immune function, organ function, and body weight.”
How Much Should A Cat Eat A Day Dry Food?
Cats can eat up to 2-3 times a day or more, depending on the type of cat food and its ingredients. Cats should always have a bowl full of freshwater available as well.
How Many Grams Of Dry Cat Food Per Day?
Cats can eat between 1-2 cups of dry cat food per day. Make sure to check the back of your brand for feeding guidelines.
How Much Dry Food Should A 15 Pound Cat Eat?
Cats eating dry food can eat anywhere between 2-4 cups of dry cat food per day.
How Much Dry Cat Food Per Day For A 10 Pound Cat?
A 10-pound cat should be fed about 1-2 cups of dry cat food per day, depending on the brand and type of product you are feeding your pet. Always make sure you have a bowl full of fresh water available as well.
How Much Dry Cat Food Per Day For A 5 Pound Cat?
A 5 pound cat should be fed about 1 cup of dry cat food per day. It would be best if you always remembered to have a bowl full of fresh water available at all times.
Cat Feeding Chart Per Age
Adult Cats Over 6 Months
2-4 cups of dry cat food per day, depending on the type of product you are feeding your pet.
Kitten Under 6 Months Old
Around ¼ cup of dry cat food per pound, depending on the brand and type of product you are feeding your kitten.
What Times Of The Day Should I Feed My Cat?
Cats can eat up to 2 times a day or more, depending on the type of cat food and its ingredients.
How Many Cups Of Dry Cat Food In A Package?
Cats eating dry food can eat anywhere between 1-2 packages per day, depending on the brand you are feeding your pet. Always make sure to check the back of your product for feeding guidelines.
Where To Store Dry Cat Food?
Dry cat food should be stored in the pantry or a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight. Make sure to close your bag of the product after each use.
Can Cats Eat Dry Food All The Time?
Yes, cats eating dry food can eat it all the time. However, adding some wet cat food into their diet is always a good idea as well.
Cats should be fed a mixture of wet and dry cat food. You should always make sure to have fresh water available at all times.
The Bottom Line
Cats require a lot of protein and fat, so be sure to keep this in mind when you’re deciding how much dry cat food to feed your pet each day. The amount will depend on the age and size of your cat, but generally speaking, they should eat one cup per ten pounds or around 1/4-1/3 cups for an average-sized adult cat every day.
There are many benefits of feeding your dry cat food, and they will always appreciate and enjoy it! 🙂
This is the end of this article. Have a wonderful day, and stay tuned for more 🙂
I hope you found this helpful. If you have questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to leave them below in the comment section. I’ll get back to you at my earliest convenience.