How much cat food per month? That’s a question that many people have asked themselves. This blog post will break down the cost of feeding your cats based on age and weight.
Understanding what you’re paying for in terms of calories is important because it tells you how much to feed them each day. You’ll also need to know what type of food your cats eat before figuring out how much it costs per month.
For example, if your cat only eats dry food, it would be easy to compare with other types of foods like canned or wet food.
But if they only eat wet or canned food, then figuring out the cost becomes more difficult since there are so many variables involved, such as price and quantity purchased at one time which will affect the final price.
Table of Contents
How much cat food per month? – Calorie Needs for Cats
Most adult cats need around 250 to 300 calories each day. You can use an online calculator to find an exact number based on the type of food and the size/weight of your cat(s). Remember, if you have multiple cats, you will need to add their needs together.
Example: If two cats weigh around 14 pounds and eat 1 cup of dry food each day, you will need around 300 calories x 2 cats = 600 calories in total.
The calorie count for the cup of dry cat food is usually printed on the front (or side) of the bag, and it’s important to note the serving size and the calories (and other nutrients) per cup.
For multiple cats, you should also consider adding up their activity levels since that will affect their calorie requirements.
How much cat food per month? – Price of Cat Food
Let’s say your cats eat around 1 cup of dry food each day, which is around 300 calories. If you buy a 16-pound bag from Walmart, your total cost will be around $9 per month (assuming they eat 1 cup a day).
If you check out the prices in your area for this specific brand, make sure to use the Walmart price as their prices may be higher elsewhere.
If you buy a 35-pound bag from Walmart, your cost will change to around $4 per month (assuming they eat 1 cup a day).
You can see how the price per pound is lower in larger bags.
Even though this type of food is cheaper in larger bags, keep in mind that it will take longer for your cats to finish one bag, which can be hard on their stomachs. This type of food is also harder to scoop and serve. If you use the same 16-pound bag example each day, you’ll need to open up two little bags, which could get messy over time.
If that concerns you, then use the smaller bag and spend a little more each month.
Wet or Canned Food
It’s not easy to find the calories in wet/canned food since they don’t usually specify this information on their labels. Therefore, it could be unclear (and fairly challenging) for you to figure out the calorie count on your own.
The best way to find out is either by checking out the cat food brand’s website to see if there’s a nutrition label or call their customer service department and ask them.
Mature Adult Cat Care
If your cats are mature adults, their calorie needs will be around 300 to 400 calories each day.
If two mature cats eat 1 cup of wet food each day, the cost per month would be around $13 (assuming they eat 1 cup a day).
How much cat food per month? – Kittens
If your kittens are 6 months old and weigh 6 pounds, their calorie needs might be around 500 to 600 calories each day.
If two kittens eat 1/2 cup of wet food each day, then the cost per month would be around $10 (assuming they eat 1/2 cup a day).
How much cat food per month? – Senior Cats
If your senior cats are 12 years old and weigh 10 pounds, their calorie needs might be around 300 to 400 calories each day.
If two senior cats eat 1 cup of wet food each day, the cost per month would be around $15 (assuming they eat 1 cup a day).
Other factors to consider
- If you feed wet or moist food, your cost will be higher than if you only feed dry food.
- If your cat(s) eat more or less than 1 cup of food every day, then factor that into your overall monthly costs.
- Keep in mind that if you feed one type of food (dry or wet), it will cost you the same amount every month.
- If your cat(s) eat more than 1 cup of food every day, then factor that into your overall monthly costs to know how much you need to spend on extra food.
- If you feed your cats more than 1 type of food (dry and wet) every day, then factor that into your overall monthly costs to know how much you need to spend on extra food.
How much food does an average cat need?
It depends on the age, breed, activity level, and health status of your cat. However, as a general rule, an average adult cat needs around 200 to 250 calories each day.
Kittens need around 300 to 400 calories each day, while mature adults and senior cats need around 300 to 400 calories each day.
How much should you spend on your cat a month?
It depends on the type of food, their breed, activity level, and health status, and other factors. As a general rule of thumb, if you feed your cats dry food only, you should expect to spend around $19 to $35 per month for one cat and around $38 to $70 per month for two cats.
If you feed your cats wet food only, then you should expect to spend around $25 to $45 per month for one cat and around $55 to $85 per month for two cats.
If you feed both dry and wet food, then you can expect to pay around $19 to $35 for one cat and around $38 to $70 for two cats
How much cat food should you buy at one time?
If your adult cats eat around 1 cup of dry food each every day, then you’ll need to purchase enough cat food for 2 months.
However, if your adult cats eat around 3/4 to 1 cup of dry or wet food each every day, then you’ll only need to buy enough cat food for 1 month.
Why does my cat need so much food?
Your cat might be getting fat if they don’t appear to have a waist, there’s a noticeable bulge around your cat’s abdomen, and your cat looks like they are wearing a ‘tent’ around their mid-section.
Your adult cats might need more food than what you are currently feeding them if they are overweight, obese, or just getting older.
How much does dry and wet cat food cost?
Dry food costs around $0.10 to $0.20 per ounce, and wet food costs around $0.20 to $1 per ounce depending on the brand, type, and quality of your pet’s food as well as where you purchase it.
How much does generic cat food cost?
Generic cat food costs around $0.15 to $0.30 per ounce depending on the brand, type and quality of your pet’s food as well as where you purchase it.
What are some ways you can save money on cat food?
1) Feed your cats on a budget by buying no-name dry food.
2) Do not feed your cats treats every day.
3) Only buy enough cat food for 1 month at a time if you have one, two or three adult cats depending on how much they eat each day.
4) Feed your cats wet food instead of dry food to help save money on their monthly food bill.
5) Limit your cats to around 3 or 4 small meals each day, so you don’t spend as much on cat food each month.
6) Skip feeding your cats treats during special occasions such as Christmas, birthdays and other holidays.
7) Give your adult cats dry food only instead of wet food.
8) Do not free-feed your cats, instead feed them set meal times.
9) If you have two cats, then get a large bag of cat food instead of two small bags of cat food to save money on their monthly food bill. When purchasing a large bag, transfer the remaining dry food from the previous bags into airtight containers to stay fresh, and your cats don’t finish their food too quickly.
10) If you have three or more cats, then purchase a large bag of cat food instead of two small bags to save money on their monthly food bill. When purchasing a large bag, transfer the remaining dry food from the previous bags into airtight containers to stay fresh, and your cats don’t finish their food too quickly.
How many calories in a day for cats?
Your adult cats will need around 50 to 70 calories a day if they weigh 10 pounds or less. If your adult cats weigh between 11 and 25 pounds, they’ll need around 100 to 130 calories each day.
If your adult cats weigh between 26 and 40 pounds, they’ll need around 150 to 190 calories daily.
If your adult cats weigh between 41 and 60 pounds, they’ll need around 200 to 260 calories daily.
Lastly, if your adult cats weigh 61 or more pounds, they should be fed around 210 to 290 calories each day.
Cat care tips you might not know about
1) Cats are lactose intolerant, so do not feed them milk.
2) Your cats might be allergic to certain foods. You’ll need to consult your vet before switching your cat’s food type. For the best value on the highest-quality pet food, shop Chewy for all of your pet needs!
The Last Word
I hope this blog post answered your question about how much cat food you need per month. If not, please feel free to leave a comment, and we will get back to you as soon as possible with the answer!
Hi there! My name is Jackson; I am a cat lover. I specialize in writing about pet care & food. I have a wealth of knowledge on cat food niches and related subjects. I have worked in the pet industry for over 5 years and am passionate about helping cat owners provide the best care for their furry friends. With knowledge of cat food and nutrition, I aim to share their insights and help cat owners navigate the world of cat food niches. I enjoy playing with my two cats, reading, and exploring new cat food brands in my free time.