Does cat food get stale? Cat food will typically keep up to two years when stored properly in a cool, dry place such as a basement. This represents a modestly larger storage space than needed for dog food; dogs need fresh water and food every day, whereas cats only require their food once or twice per day.
If you do not have one of these spaces available, we recommend storing it in an area that is not heated and has good air circulation (such as the back porch)
A six-month period is not out of the ordinary for freshness. When you store cat food, you should follow the same rules of cool and dry and keep it in an opaque container with a tight lid.
- 1 Does Cat Food Get Stale?
- 2 How Quickly Does Cat Food Go Stale?
- 3 Is Cat Food Safe To Store?
- 4 How Can You Tell If Cat Food Is Stale?
- 5 Perfect 5 Ways How To Store Cat Food?
- 6 Does Dry Cat Food Go Bad?
- 7 Does Dry Cat Food Go Bad Sit Out?
- 8 How Long Does Dry Cat Food Last?
- 9 Top 5 Tips To Store Dry Cat Food Safely
- 10 How Can You Tell If Dry Cat Food Is Stale?
- 11 How Long Can You Keep Dry Cat Food?
- 12 How Bad Is It When Cats Food Goes Stale?
- 13 Why Did My Cat Food Go Stale?
- 14 How To Store Kibble, So It Lasts Longer?
- 15 The Bottom Line
Does Cat Food Get Stale?
Yes, cat food gets stale. You should store kitty food in an area where your geographical area’s temperature and humidity levels are normal. Keeping it too hot or cold will increase your chances of spoilage.
While you can always test to see if a bag is still fresh, it is best to purchase only small quantities of cat food at a time. This way, you can use it before it gets stale, thereby avoiding waste and storing less in the long run.
How Quickly Does Cat Food Go Stale?
Cat food left on its side in the sun will sometimes go stale within a day. The same thing happens if it is uncovered in the heat or not stored properly.
Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Wet Cat Food Poultry & Beef Feast Collection
In the latter case, even once-fresh cat food may be susceptible to spoilage, but the chances of this happening are much greater with dry cat foods.
Is Cat Food Safe To Store?
Most pet owners would say yes, but there are certain instances where it’s best to keep your cat’s pet food frozen.
For example, if you’re not sure how long it’s been in your refrigerator, you should put it in the freezer for at least a little while. If your pet food looks or smells strange, you should remove it immediately.
How Can You Tell If Cat Food Is Stale?
If you open a sealed bag of cat food and it has an odor, it’s probably stale. There are a few other signs, such as the appearance of mold on the packaging or the in-appearance of moisture inside the bag.
Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Dry Cat Food, Chicken & Brown Rice
You’ll also notice a change in taste if you compare the food to its brand just before it went bad. Also, check out the smell. It might be a bit off or have a strong, unpleasant odor.
How to avoid spoiling cat food when it is stored in a cooler that is not airtight:
1) Make sure the air inside the cooler is circulating. If there’s no air circulation, try to put open cat food containers in a plastic bag, keeping in mind that they will dry out over time.
2) Store your foods at room temperature and not cold.
3) Use an airtight container for storage
4) keep your pet food in the dark, cool place away from the sun.
5) Use a seal-tight, airtight container with a long shelf life.
6) Store your pet food in an opaque, tightly sealed container. This will not only keep the food fresh, but it’s also safer for your cat, especially if you have pet food bags of different brands and flavors.
Perfect 5 Ways How To Store Cat Food?
1. Place cat food in an airtight container that is not in the sun.
2. Store cat food in a cool and dry area with good air circulation.
3. Let it rest at room temperature, along with its container, for several days until the product is fully thawed and ready to eat.
4. Make sure that the food has been completely thawed before eating it, as some foods may be fresh on one side but stale on the other side and can be dangerous for your pet.
Does Dry Cat Food Go Bad?
Eating old cat food is not recommended, as this can cause your cat to lose its appetite and become anorexic. However, there are times when leftover dry cat food can go bad quickly.
For instance, if you leave the serving of dry cat food in the bag for a week or so, it will start to decompose and then spoil.
If you stored dry cat food correctly, but it has gone bad, remove any remaining portions and place them in the freezer until they are completely frozen.
Does Dry Cat Food Go Bad Sit Out?
Yes, this is possible. Once the food reaches room temperature and then humidity, it can get stale. The best way to prevent this is to make sure that you store your pet’s food inside an airtight container that is not kept in the heat or left in the bag for some time.
How Long Does Dry Cat Food Last?
Many cat owners have found that their dry cat food has lasted up to a year in their homes without getting stale. However, if you live in a warm climate with direct sunlight, then the food might spoil even faster than this.
Top 5 Tips To Store Dry Cat Food Safely
1. Store dry cat food in a cool, dark, dry area.
2. Make sure that the food is not exposed to sunlight or heat.
3. Do not store it in the refrigerator, as it will get cold within a few days, and wet cat food might ferment inside of it.
4. Once you have finished eating the entire pack, store the leftovers in the freezer until they are completely frozen.
5. Keep your pet’s dry food in an opaque, airtight container so that the food will not change color or deteriorate.
How Can You Tell If Dry Cat Food Is Stale?
One of the easiest ways to tell if it’s bad is smelling it. It should smell fresh if you take a whiff, not like mildew or mold.
Another sign is if your pet refuses to eat the food. However, before assuming that your cat doesn’t like the product, remember that your pet can get sick from eating spoiled food.
How Long Can You Keep Dry Cat Food?
If you store dry cat food properly, it can last up to a year. However, if the product comes into direct contact with heat or sunlight, it will begin to spoil within a few weeks. If you can still use some of the food before this happens, you can reduce waste.
How Bad Is It When Cats Food Goes Stale?
If the food has gone bad or stale, your cat may develop health problems. Although this doesn’t happen often, it’s a sign that your pet’s diet needs to be altered. In most cases, cats that eat stale food will exhibit vomiting and diarrhea.
Why Did My Cat Food Go Stale?
Your cat can get sick if its food goes bad or stale due to two main reasons – improper storage and neglect by the owner. For example, if you leave the food in the bag for too long and then put it in the fridge, it will get stale within a few days. However, if your pet eats something bad or rotten and you don’t realize it, your cat can also develop an illness.
How To Store Kibble, So It Lasts Longer?
If you are storing your kibble outside of the freezer and it has expired, you should allow some time for the food to sit at room temperature in an airtight bag. This is essential because most pet foods have no more than four weeks of shelf life.
The Bottom Line
No matter what you decide to do with spoiled cat food, make sure you dispose of it safely. If your pet has become ill due to eating bad or stale food, then visit your vet immediately. For example, if your cat has developed vomiting and diarrhea from spoiled food, then you should see a vet as soon as possible.
I hope this article was helpful and informative. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.
We want to hear from you. Leave a comment below on the comments section of this article, and don’t forget to share it with your friends!